I have done my schooling from St. Joseph’s Convent, Patna, Bihar and graduated from Patna Women’s College, Patna. After graduation, joined Miranda House, Delhi University and have done Post Graduation in Physics.
The plight of the poor and underprivileged people in the surroundings had a lasting impact in my mind and working for the society and helping people became the motive of my life since childhood. After studies, seeing the plight of talented but unemployed poor and under privileged people especially women, started training them to enhance their skills through my NGO AASTHA FOUNDATION established in February 2005.
Among Aastha’s various initiatives, its ‘Self-help’ initiative for women and rural artisans has been very well received and well applauded. The objective of the NGO was to train and empower the under privileged and poor artisan especially women in the Handicraft Sector. The zeal, enthusiasm and determination soon led to creation of cluster of artisans having knowledge of Indian Art and skills to create world class products. The creations were exhibited in different fair and exhibitions at Dilli Haat, New Delhi and Surajkund Mela, Faridabad (Haryana) and at various other places. However, these platforms were falling short to expose the enhanced skill set of these women and other artisans creating world class designs and quality products which could match and create a niche in global market.
To provide a platform to showcase and sell the beautifully crafted handicraft jewellery and fashion accessories, “SINI” was conceptualized as a brand in 2011. Working on the global trends in fashion designing and according to classical, traditional and contemporary trends prevailing in the country and across the world, started designing fashion jewelries and textiles to expose the creations of the skilled artisans in the Indian as well as global market.
To keep pace with the changing global trends and to fight the domination of other countries in this area, honed my skills by graduating in Fashion Designing. SINI has been a registered trade mark and popular across the globe. SINI as a brand has emerged to realize the true potential of these artisans and give them their due recognition. The Handicraft Jewellries and Textiles manufactured by the artisans and weavers from North Eastern State, Bihar, U.P, Punjab, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir are exported to U.S.A, Canada, Europe, Middle East etc. Thus, I have been able to connect the creativity of our talented artisans to the International market with the motive of my endeavor “Inspired from India, crafted for the world”. It goes without saying that the revenue thus generated is being invested for the improvement in Health, Education and Financial condition of these artisans.
Significant Contributions :
- I have the privilege of being a first generation social worker and entrepreneur, and the endeavor includes social and financial upliftment of under privileged women furthering my ambition of blending a socio profitable organization.
- Signing of an MOU as an entrepreneur with the Self Help Groups of North Eastern people (Meghalaya) to promote and export their ethnic wears under the tutelage of Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India.
- Empanelment as a Fashion Designer in DCH, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India and Fashion Design Council of India, FDCI.
- Sponsored by Development Commissioner-Handicrafts, Ministry of Textile, to participate in Autumn Fair International, Birmingham, UK in September 2011.
- Selected by National Council for Design and Production Development, Ministry of Textiles, GOI, to participate in Incredible India Week in Bangkok, Thailand in August 2013.
- Participation in Fashion week in Malaysia, Hongkong, Thailand etc.
- Silver Awards for Best Display in 2013 and 2015 in Indian Jewellery and Fashion Accessories Fair at Greater Noida Expo Mart, Greater Noida, by the EPCH, Ministry of Textiles, GOI.
- Participated as Fashion Designer in the Fashion Shows organized by EPCH in the Indian Jewellery and Fashion Accessories Fair in 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015.
- International Exhibitions organized in Hong Kong, Malaysia on Fashion Jewellries and Garments.
- National Exhibitions organized by Export Promotion Council of Handicrafts , Apparel Export Promote Council, Indian Silk Export Promotion Council.
Awards & Recognition :
- State Award for Master Crafts persons by Govt. of National Capital Territory of Delhi for Innovative Jewellery Designs.
- Empanelment as a Fashion Designer in DCH, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India.
- Awarded by Network 7 Media Group as most valuable Jewellery Designer and Entrepreneur for the year 2017.
What is the inspiration behind your designs?
“Inspired from India, crafted for the world” has been my inspiration. It has been my endeavor to connect the creativity of our talented artisans to the International market. Keeping pace with the changing global trends and to fight the domination of other countries in this area has been an added impetus. It goes without saying that a major share of revenue is being invested for the improvement in Health, Education and Financial condition of these artisans under corporate social responsibilities (CSR).
What are the key elements for you when designing a collection for each season?
Each season has its own uniqueness and reflecting this uniqueness through color, pattern and fabric is the key element. Beside this, the designs speaks of the fusion of art, culture, nature, rich treasure of our country. The variables to be used by people of different countries having different preferences, contemporary likings of people especially young generations and the spirit of the people are also kept in mind when designing a collection.
What challenges did you face when launching your brand?
Being a first generation entrepreneur and that too without having any work experience, provided me a platform, where I could explore, experiment and feel the trends from people’s perspectives. Another challenge was to ensure that my brand “SINI” makes a mark among the already established names. For this, I had to ensure quality of products flavoured with value addition, competitive pricing and timely delivery. Consistency on all these parameters resulted into enhanced trust quotient with consumers.
What are your plans for the future?
“SINI” had been conceived as an export oriented venture. But off late, the thinking that “why only foreigners should have the luxury of using this label”? has led to domestic expansion also. Our scintillatingly designed accessories will certainly add a dash to panache of Indian consumers.
What do you think are the keys to professional and business success for women in India?
Strong conviction about ones potentials, high self esteem, good managerial skills, working harder than male peers, building trust with workforce especially male employees, team building and discipline are the basic ingredients to professional and business success for women in India.
What advice would you give to young women readers who want to follow a similar career path as you?
Knowledge of art, culture, nature and their fusion with the contemporary trends in fashion. Knowledge ingrained with zeal, enthusiasm and above all, creativity are the prerequisites for moving ahead on this carrier path.
What sparked your interest in fashion?
My passion for nature, understanding the creations of nature had the inherent instinct for designing. My designing brings me more close to the nature and when my designs are used and appreciated, I feel a ‘connect’ with not only the nature but its creations also.
What is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your company?
Reading the mind and pulse of the consumer, converting their mental images into reality and its delivery with punctuality, quality and competitive pricing are the biggest lesson that I have learnt.
How would you describe your brand?
SINIin a short span has evolved as a leading brand in fashion accessories and garments which are innovative, traditional, contemporary, affordable and appealing to everyone. SINI, inspired by the rich Indian culture, has been crafted for the women of today. SINI brings a range of exclusive ones of its kind fashion accessories and garments inspired by multi faceted hues of rich global trends. Our scintillating work adds a dash to panache of one’s personality.
SINI DESIGNS has been a leading manufacturer and exporter of Stoles, Scarves, Shawls, Ponchos, Beach wear and garments. Fashion accessories and garments made of Silk, Cotton, Viscose, Wool, Handloom fabrics with screen and digital prints, light and heavy hand embroidery have been our best selling proposition.